Sunday, August 30, 2009

Objective #4: Remove Windows 7 from Dual-Boot with XP

I can come up with many reasons why you would want to remove one of your operating systems from the dual-boot mode.  In my case, the Windows 7 installation got corrupted and I didn't want the dual-boot option to delay my start-up.  After some research (google), I found quite a few references with detailed steps on how one could remove Windows 7 from dual-boot.  The problem I ran into was that most of the guides assumed that you had Vista installed and wanted to get rid of Windows 7, but I was using Windows XP. Some other guides required the use of Bootsec.exe file from the Windows 7 DVD/image - if you are using 32-bit Windows XP and have an image of 64-bit Windows 7, 'bootsec.exe' will not work and you will get an error that it is not a valid Win-32 application.

I found this neat little (Free) utility, EasyBCD that you can install on your Windows XP machines and remove Windows 7 (or any other O/S) from dual-boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment